Re: [jakarta.ee-community] A Composable Platform Over Profiles

Jason Greene wrote on 05/ 1/18 11:11 AM:> I argue that a better approach would
be to define the platform as a palette
> of composable standards[1], where profiles define only what must be available
> for a developer to choose from, and only limit the version of a given
> standard to the minimum that must be provided[2].

The former is exactly where we intended to head for Java EE 9.
Defining the requirements for composability and getting every
vendor to agree to them and every product to implement them
would be a challenge.

The pros and cons of the latter are definitely worth discussion,
although we never would've done that for Java EE.  Jakarta EE
can define different rules if that's seen to be better for the
community.

Back to the top