Re: [jakarta.ee-community] A Composable Platform Over Profiles

I agree.  A profile should be limited in scope and it should be possible to combine profiles. In addition, one profile could be an expansion of another. For example, their might be a REST profile which can stand alone. But it could also be a subset of a larger Microprofile.

I do think, however, that we should consider a Jakarta EE “Core”, a minimum common platform, upon which all profiles are based. The reason:  You need a core or there really is no platform other than Java SE, and without a core you cannot express how different profiles will impact and interact with each other.

The Jakarta EE Core would be the foundation of future version of a Legacy Profile, a Web Profile, and other profiles.  It might include a few or a dozen JSRs like CDI and JMX, for example, but not require many others such as EJB, JAX-WS or JAX-RS.  The point here (at this moment) is not to say what specs are in the core, but to argue for a small subset of Java EE as a core.

So Jakarta EE would be comprised of a stable, slowly evolving Core upon which many different profiles can be standardized according to problem domains and those profiles can be supported by vendors in any combination on top of the Core subject to compliance testing.