Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Which will be the initial Versioning Number for the first version of Jakarta EE

Hello,

My personal opinion is that the $major.$minor.$security scheme is good because of the reasons described here http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/223

Also alignment of the Major number with the Java SE that is the primary compatibility requirement for Jakarta EE is logical.

Kind regards,
Yordan Nalbantov

I think we've been using "8" or "8.0" as an informal way of indicating that it will be compatible with Java EE 8, but I think we should make an explicit decision about how to do version numbering for Jakarta EE once we have the right group in place to make that decision.  I'm not clear on whether that would be the Steering Committee, the Specification Committee, or the Jakarta EE Platform project.

Once we're clear on who gets to make the decision, I see three obvious choices:
  1. Continue the Java EE version numbering approach with Jakarta EE X being based on Java SE X, for all values of X.  With the new rapid release cycles of Java SE, that might mean skipping some version numbers to allow Jakarta EE to stay in sync with Java SE.
  2. Start with Jakarta EE 8 and increment the version number for each release, making a separate and explicit decision as to what version of Java SE to base each release on.
  3. Since so much of Jakarta EE is a break from the past, start over with Jakarta EE 1, incrementing the version number for each release.

Independently of the above is the decision of whether or not to use minor version numbers, and if so for what purpose.