Re: [iot-wg] MQTT and Wikipedia

Dominik,

I think that's a good idea. I would be happy to help out however I can, although I don't have a wikipedia editing account right now.

Ian

On 06/17/2014 09:00 PM, Dominik Obermaier wrote:
Hi everybody,

the Wikipedia MQTT page [1] is very unmaintained at the moment and it
reads very unattractive . And if you look at the edit history, there are
some people who obviously try to shorten the article [2]. Given the
traction MQTT currently gains, I think it's very important to have a
good Wikipedia presence because this is one of the first contact point
for many people when looking up new technology information. If you
compare for instance with the CoAP article [3], you can probably see
best what I mean.

So I think we should together join forces and maintain the MQTT article.
I myself did some changes in the past, most of them were rolled back.

In concrete I see the following steps to do:

1. Clean up / Improve the MQTT Wikipedia article (massively)
2. Add MQTT protocol to the Application Layer Wiki page [4]
3. Add MQTT as related protocl to the CoAP wiki page in the sidebar [3]
4. Add MQTT to the Internet of Things article in the "Frameworks" [5]

For the Wikipedia MQTT main article I would propose additional headings
like:

* Features
* Bridging
* MQTT implementations (e.g. Paho and other libraries with traction;
also MQTT brokers).
* History
* Real-world implementations (much more information)

Who wants to volunteer bringing the MQTT article(s) quality huge steps
forward? Best would be if someone already has a "trusted" Wikipedia
account to reduce the chance of random rollbacks.

All the best,
Dominik

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mqtt
[2]