Re: [iot-wg] Why use concierge?

Hi Pascal,

Now, claiming that Equinox is not suitable for IoT usage is erroneous and misleading. After all it has been used by Kura, SmartHome and others for years so it has to be good enough :)

Right, but „good enough“ is relative. For SmartHome, we have an overall OSGi startup time of at least 2 minutes on a RaspberryPi and a usual heap size of > 100MB. I cannot exactly split this up between the OSGi fw itself and the application on top of it. Nonetheless, for an embedded device this is quite huge and if there are possibilities to improve it, we are looking at it. Especially if you hear all the NodeJS folks talking about startup times on RasPis of only a few seconds…

So this is why Eclipse SmartHome is interested in Concierge. Not because it is a better solution than Equinox, but because it promises to reduce the footprint. If this is really the case and what compromise might come with that is something that we will find out on the way.

Another point why I think it is good to have a second OSGi fw at Eclipse is that the projects are forced to be put focus on compatibility with the OSGi spec. There are MANY projects that have a hard dependency on Equinox (e.g. EMF or Equinox DS), while they should only have a dependency on „some“ OSGi framework. This artificially reduces the popularity of these projects as they can only run on Equinox, but not anywhere else. This is something that the Felix guys do much better - most of their libs also run nicely on Equinox (and on Concierge!).

Just my two cents,
Kai