Re: [incubation] Bundle JRE -- License and Technicl Questions

You can track our progress on this topic via Bug 506244.

Note that the GPL+CE license scheme might allow you to combine a JRE with EPL-licensed code, but that is different from being able to then distribute that content via an Eclipse Foundation channel (which, as Mike says, is not currently permitted).

Wayne

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 10:29 AM Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2019-04-18 10:19 a.m., Martijn Verburg wrote:
You can bundle an EPL or GPLv2+CE JRE, but not an Oracle JRE (without accepting their terms and conditions).  Given you're an Eclipse project I'd suggest an Eclipse OpenJ9 JRE.

Actually, this is incorrect, at least as of this moment. The reason being that the Board must unanimously approve the distribution of components under licenses not previously approved by the Board, and the GPL+CE license has not approved. Presently the distribution of a JRE with any Eclipse project is not possible because of this.

--

Mike Milinkovich

Executive Director | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

@mmilinkov

+1.613.220.3223 (m)