Re: [incubation] rdf4j first milestone release - couple of questions

On 12/05/16 18:43, Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
Hi Jeen,

On 12 May 2016, at 07:55, Jeen Broekstra <jeen.broekstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

First of all: it is my understanding that for a milestone release such as
we want to do, no full release review is necessary. Is that correct?

I think the key point is that a milestone is not a full release. I would be
careful not calling it a release. A milestone is just a build. It's more
important than a nightly, though.

Fair enough, I'll be careful to make that distinction more clearly.

Second, I know that I need a 'release plan' in place. In fact I've already
created a simple one:

https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.rdf4j/releases/2.0

However from what I understand this is intended for "proper" releases (i.e.
once we come out of incubation). So should I already have this up and
complete for this milestone build already - and what should be in it,
precisely? This release is rather boring as it just is feature-equal to the
last release we did under our old project name. Also, not sure how I add
issues to this plan: it seems to assume we use Bugzilla rather than GitHub
issues.

I can't comment on the GitHub Issues listing. AFAIK, that's still WIP.

Ok, no problem, it's the least of my worries :)

However, a release is not always about new features. A few bullet points
mentioning what you just wrote is perfect. The plan does not need to be
finalised. But it's good to have a plan. It would be great if the plan also
mentions the milestones you intend to achieve and publish towards the 2.0
release. Right now, I see the 2.0M1 milestone there. Is it the only one, i.e.
no release candidates before the final release?

We weren't planning to have any - the milestone build is intended to do a shakedown, but I'm not expecting any major issues to drop out of that. Ideally we want to go straight to an actual release. As said, the tech itself is unchanged from the latest stable Sesame release, so all we're really testing here is whether the rename and new logos etc. have all gone correctly.

Mostly I planned to do a milestone because I assumed I would not be able to do an actual release for a while. To put it another way: I am currently assuming that I cannot do any releases until I hear back from legal that the parallel IP process has completed - and I have no real timeframe on that.

But maybe I have it the wrong way around? Should I simply plan a release, inform legal, and that is their signal to push through finalization of the review? I don't want to step on any toes here, just worried that we're all waiting on each other to make the first move.

I'm anxious to get our first release out as quickly as possible, because we have an existing user base and I don't want to get in the situation where the old project needs to be kept alive on a simmer to serve hotfixes (with all the synchronization hassle between the old project and the new that that implies).

Third: I know we need to keep an IP Log and of course we have one here:

https://www.eclipse.org/projects/ip_log.php?projectid=technology.rdf4j

Do I need to do anything with this at this point? I know it's normally part
of the release review so I assume that it's not necessary to submit for a
milestone build, but I thought I'd check.

When you are sure that the IP Log is complete, i.e. no new dependencies and
contributions will be accepted for a release, then it's time to submit the
log (scroll down and look for "Submit The Log"). Otherwise modify it as
necessary.

Just to be clear: I don't have to wait for pending CQs to be finalized before submitting the IP log? I currently have 15 of those, and while Sharon has commented on all of them that they are "cleared for checkin based on Parallel IP", they are still marked as pending.

The log must be submitted for review *before* requesting a release review and
PMC release voting.

That makes sense.

So, summarizing: we can do a milestone build (making sure not to call it a release) without any further formal review. We cannot yet do a release, but if I finalize the release plan and submit the IP log we can move forward on getting a release out... how soon?

Cheers,

Jeen

Back to the top