Re: [incubation] rdf4j first milestone release - couple of questions

Hi Jeen,

> On 12 May 2016, at 07:55, Jeen Broekstra <jeen.broekstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First of all: it is my understanding that for a milestone release such as we want to do, no full release review is necessary. Is that correct?

I think the key point is that a milestone is not a full release. I would be careful not calling it a release. A milestone is just a build. It's more important than a nightly, though.

> Second, I know that I need a 'release plan' in place. In fact I've already created a simple one:
>
> https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.rdf4j/releases/2.0
>
> However from what I understand this is intended for "proper" releases (i.e. once we come out of incubation). So should I already have this up and complete for this milestone build already - and what should be in it, precisely? This release is rather boring as it just is feature-equal to the last release we did under our old project name. Also, not sure how I add issues to this plan: it seems to assume we use Bugzilla rather than GitHub issues.

I can't comment on the GitHub Issues listing. AFAIK, that's still WIP. However, a release is not always about new features. A few bullet points mentioning what you just wrote is perfect. The plan does not need to be finalised. But it's good to have a plan. It would be great if the plan also mentions the milestones you intend to achieve and publish towards the 2.0 release. Right now, I see the 2.0M1 milestone there. Is it the only one, i.e. no release candidates before the final release?

> Third: I know we need to keep an IP Log and of course we have one here:
>
> https://www.eclipse.org/projects/ip_log.php?projectid=technology.rdf4j
>
> Do I need to do anything with this at this point? I know it's normally part of the release review so I assume that it's not necessary to submit for a milestone build, but I thought I'd check.

When you are sure that the IP Log is complete, i.e. no new dependencies and contributions will be accepted for a release, then it's time to submit the log (scroll down and look for "Submit The Log"). Otherwise modify it as necessary.

The log must be submitted for review *before* requesting a release review and PMC release voting.

-Gunnar

Back to the top