Re: [ide4edu-dev] GSoC

Hi Wayne.

Thank you for your answer.

As for my ideas about Eclipse IDE for Education:

  1. Implementing functionality that would be some kind of virtual teacher.

    Beginners in Java programming at their first months of studing Java language often forget about programming style. Also beginners inclined to do many absurd mistakes. So, virtual techer could help to format code, explain mistakes and errors, help to avoid bugs, giving extended tips and lessons.

    For example. Student tries to call a non-static method inside a static method, but it doesn't work and student doesn't understand why, because he/she is a begginer and has not yet had time to learn it. A virtual teacher could give to a student a quite full explanation about static methods: what is a static method and how to use it. Such tips can help students to learn language quicklier. If student writes code not properly, for example method's name starts with a capital letter, he/she would get a reminder, that such naming is not good . Such style checking can form a habit to write a maintainable and error-free code from their first days of study.

  2. Visualization of JVM working. It would introduce JVM's work results in an intuitive and clear form: compiled byte code, stack, heap, references between objects, states of virtual machine and so on.

I am looking for new experience and I also would be glad to implement any other ideas.

Svetlana Nesterenko