Re: [ide-dev] Photon IDE, by Eclipse

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Ed Willink <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> A newbie knows that they should install Eclipse.
>

> A newbie doesn't know it, it learns it fron scratch. So I don't think
> newbies are the one who would suffer the most from that change, actually,
> the legacy community (== us) are the one who probably would be the most
> confused.

Well, I disagree here unless the milions of people knowing Eclipse IDE
and nothing about Photon are considered legacy community.  And total
newbies don't learn from scratch IMHO they search the internet where
they will find "install Eclipse IDE".
Such a rename is a lot of technical work (every single bit where
Eclipse is mentioned should be touched or it will become huge
inconsistent mess). And even if done it would cause hundreds of time
more harm than good.
As an example Apache never thought of renaming it's http server to
some crazy name it was just suffixed with "http server" just like
Eclipse was suffixed with "IDE" and this is not causing any damage to
the other http server projects there (haven't heard a complain that
Tomcat suffers from that). They simply serve different purposes
(although can be oversimplified to be the same) and new projects build
their marketing name in the same way others do it. Punishing the
project that had created the marketing value behind Eclipse and at the
same time creating even more confusion for end users is nothing more
but a self destruction evil plan.