Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 2:22 AM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/22/2016 11:12 PM, Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
Frankly, I actually do not understand why removing them is a solution. That's probably because I'm missing some context about the problem. Have you more data to back up that argument or are you guessing it based on your own personal experience?
My comment is based on multiple posts and comments we can read here and there from IDEs users finding points to criticize in Eclipse IDE. The concept workspace is a frequent one - not because it's bad but rather because people misunderstand or misuse it.
I'm not saying we should remove them, and actually I would rather them to stay forever; but rather find way to drive people to other (better) practices. In my daily work, except when using PDE target-platforms for which switching takes ages, I do not see the benefit of having multiple workspaces. What other limitations do you have in mind? Does anyone know what drive users to use multiple workspaces nowadays?
--

I use multiple workspaces ​in some situations:

1. To deal with different versions of a project (i.e.: working in master in a workspace and with some other long lived branch in another -- in this case, if not for workspaces, the time to switch to another branch, compile everything, generate resources, etc would be really high).

2. Separate things from unrelated projects (i.e.: when I'm working on some Python projects I usually have a workspace for it which is different from the java workspace -- although in that case even the version of Eclipse is different as the actual plugins installed are different).

Still, I use working sets extensively to organize projects inside a workspace (and usually make working sets top level on the package explorer), but workspaces are invaluable for me.

One thing that is a bit annoying is that in the IDE is that I can't choose when I want the setting to be saved in the user preferences, workspace preferences or project preferences... as a note, I solved this in PyDev by making it possible for the user to select on which scope it should be saved in the preferences -- the screenshot attached shows the UI for it (note that even project settings are configured there) -- I know there's Oomph which alleviates this somewhat, but I find it more cumbersome than what I have in PyDev (the main problem is that it's a preference recorder, so, it doesn't work properly to save the things I already have set).

Cheers,

Fabio