Re: [ide-dev] Language Server Protocol

On 10 Jun 2016, at 10:45, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

What I mean was that all the server implementations I looked at (from those
here:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-languageserver-protocol/wiki/Protocol-Implementations#language-servers
), they all seem to require VSCode to be installed to run the server. I couldn't find any instructions to install one of them in a stand-alone way.

This is because they are packaged as VS Code extension. A language server is in practice developed as a stand alone component but it is packaged into a VS Code extension so that the extension can activate the server when VS Code needs its functionality. You can see the server/client separation on the example server code clearly [1]. Unfortunately most implementations have not
laid out their code with this separation on mind.

I am building a Java server that uses JDT, M2E to provide its functionality and I should make the code available soon, which has a very clear separation where server is a headless Eclipse that leaves on its own and provides possibility for multiple
transports (for VS Code it uses named pipes).

[1] https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-languageserver-node