Re: [ide-dev] A "releases/latest" URL in the IDE to ease upgrades?

I'm also for the IDE leading innovation to the users,

But I think users might be dependent on platform version, then
switching could break APIs and cause migration issues

As an user:
- when I click on "check for updates", I expect
"simple"(in-the-same-major-version) plug-ins updates, and not major
platform updates.
- I might be dependent on a specific platform version.

Given that:
a. the Eclipse IDE can detect a major release update.
b. the Eclipse IDE can handle the platform update

During a "check for updates", if a major update is available, a
possible workflow could be:
1. Ask the user: "A new major update is available. Auto-update the platform?"
2. Show a message "Updating to the latest version:" + drop-down
(select available higher versions)

Note: I'm dependent on platform version, as I develop plugins on
Kepler (4.3), and I will have migration issues (...) in switching to
4.5
Kind Regards,
Patrik