Re: [ide-dev] Yet another article advising to leave Eclispe

Hey Mike,

> The downside to that decision is, of course, that our users cannot differentiate between bugs caused by Eclipse and bugs caused by poor plug-ins. Or even if they can tell, they do not care. As a result, any popular but buggy plug-in can damage the quality reputation of Eclipse itself.

Interestingly, this is the case for products that are being built on top of Eclipse as well. Users cannot differentiate between bugs causes by Eclipse and bugs caused by the product build on top of Eclipse - and in that case they always blame the product, even if some of the bugs are caused by the underlying Eclipse components. So it depends a bit on your viewpoint… :-)

The published article puts STS in the focus and blames STS for poor quality - and it might be accurate in his case that the problems and issues that led him to leave Eclipse behind where caused by STS bugs. But the discussion should not be about high-quality Eclipse vs. poor plugins. Everybody should aim at high-quality and we all should do our best to achieve that. We all can improve.

Cheers,
-Martin

Back to the top