Re: [higgins-dev] Timing on Friday ski day

I would have estimated 1 hour for travel time from Park City or Alta to the SLC airport -- and that's just travel time with no allowance for bad weather, rental return, or canyon congestion (more likely at Alta than Park City). I once got stuck at Snowbird for about 6 hours on Christmas Eve when an avalanche closed Little Cottonwood Canyon. Huge variations are possible, but you really can't do much to plan for such things.

So I think Jim's estimates are good. :)

--Dale

"Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If I were guessing, I'd say we'll end up with a small group at Alta on
> Monday, and a larger group at Park City on Friday.
>
> Here are the maps from Park City (
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=40.651992
> ,-111.508312&daddr=slc+airport&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=13&sll=40.64688,-111.503849&
> sspn=0.083618,0.149689&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13&om=0 ) and Alta (
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=40.588553,-
> 111.638796&daddr=slc+airport&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=40.588798,-111.638861&s
> spn=0.010461,0.018711&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&om=0 ) to the airport.  I would pad the
> timings given for traffic.  I've usually experienced fast exits from Alta,
> but once it took over 40 minutes just to get down the canyon due to bad
> weather.
>
> The lifts usually stop running around 4 or 4:30.  With good road conditions,
> you might be able to return your equipment and get to the airport in about
> 1.5 hours, but only if all the conditions were good (no lines at the ski
> rental return, no bad weather or traffic).  I'd estimate more like 2 to 2.5
> hours to be safe.
>
> Dale might have a better estimate, he probably drives those routes more than
> I do.
>
> Jim

> Jim et al,
>

> I checked on the Doodle results and Friday is looking like the big ski day
> (which is good, *cause it*s the only one that really works for me). Question:
> if we go up that day * esp. to one of the farther resorts * what time is safe
> for me to try to book a flight back to Seattle that night? Or is it too far
> and I should really try to fly back Sat. morning?
>

> TIA for the guidance,
>

> =Drummond

> higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@eclipseorg]
> On Behalf Of
>
> Jim Sermersheim

> Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:28 PM

> Higgins dev <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Re: [higgins-dev] Important Higgins Face to Face info
>

> I didn't add the resorts in Big Cottonwood Canyon (Solitude) because I
> figured there were enough of the closer ones.  I can add it if you want.

> Anyone up for Ulta or Solitude ?
>
> Anthony Nadalin | Work 512.838.0085 | Cell 512.289.4122
>

> "Tom Doman" ---01/16/2008 11:02:27 AM---I always rent on Park's Sportsman in
> Orem when I'm going up Provo canyon (that could be Sundance, Park City, and
> others) becaus

> "Tom Doman" <tdoman@xxxxxxxxxx>

> "Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions"
> <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> 01/16/2008 11:02 AM

> Re: [higgins-dev] Important Higgins Face to Face info
>

> I always rent on Park's Sportsman in Orem when I'm going up Provo canyon
> (that could be Sundance, Park City, and others) because it's cheaper and on
> the way back to Utah Valley.  However, personally,
 I'd like to go somewhere