[higgins-dev] Collaborating C++ i-card selector

Andy,

I was having a discussion with Maxim about the idea we discussed briefly on
a recent Higgins call about collaborating on changes and enhancements to the
C++ GTK-based i-card selector so that it could work with either a local
daemon agent service or a remote hosted agent service.

Maxim said to me that the C++ i-card selector doesn't use WSDL/SOAP services
in the i-card selector, it uses direct calls to ISS. Therefore we would need
to make a lot of changes to use it with our RPPS service.

To which I said:

As I discussed briefly with Andy on a recent higgins call, the idea would be
to work together to arrive at a reusable i-card selector that could be used
with either a remote SOAP service or with a local service. My understanding
is that Novell was already planning at some point to (a) split their single
(H2) process into two pieces, namely: an i-card selector and a backend
(RPPS-like) process. Novell would like their i-card selector to be able to
(optionally) use a _remote_ process and (b) Novell is willing to work
together with others to collaboratively make changes to BOTH the C++ i-card
selector so that it can use either a local daemon process or a remote
process AND to work together to make any changes necessary to the RPPS
service, WSDL, etc. so that the completed i-card selector could work with
EITHER the H1 "RPPS" web service "agent service" or a local C++ RPPS-like
C++ "agent service".

Over time the plan is for all of the Higgins i-card selector components to
converge as to functionality and basic interface design (with
platform-specific differences, of course). It would seem to me that
collaborating so that the H1 deployment config (i.e. the same RPPS "agent
service") could use EITHER the current Firefox HBX (with its embedded i-card
selector) or a new IE-based extension that would launch the C++ i-card
selector.

Does all this make sense to you?

-Paul

Back to the top