Re: [higgins-dev] Mapping at what level?

The question is neither out of place nor ignorant, rather it is pragmatic and right on point.

The pattern that I described is one that we developed for a set of use cases that may or may not be relevant here. This high level of abstraction in the xdi dictionary solution have all of the benefits and draw backs of any abstraction... more work up front... possible long term gains in terms of re-use, portability, scalability. The up sides of this abstraction may not be meaningful for this effort and that's why I was reticent to even bring it up.

I do like the idea of being able to devise and 'publish' schema mappings such that others can simply reference a trusted mapping and 'acquire' another mapping by simply knowing the xri (uri) of the mapping definition. I don't understand enough about the js model that you are proposing to know if it shares that quality.

I don't want to lead anyone down a useless rabbit hole here... I'm happy to keep discussing this if you think it might have value, I'm also happy to let it drop  (for now) if it's just too much overhead while trying to drive to an actual implementation.  Once I have a better understanding of Higgins and IdAS I may turn around and try to make a concerted argument for why I think this IS a good idea... but I don't _know_ that it is yet.  We can work together on working that out, or I'll try to work it out myself and come back with an evaluation when I can :-)

All the best,

Andy Dale
ooTao, Inc.

Phone: 877-213-7935
Fax: 877-213-7935

i-name: =Andy.Dale
http://xri.net/=andy.dale

If you don't have an i-name yet use this link to visit one of our partners and buy one:

  http://www.ezibroker.net/partners.html

"Marc Boorshtein" <mboorshtein@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/14/2007 02:32 PM

Please respond to
"Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions"        <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [higgins-dev] Mapping at what level?

Please forgive my ignorance (this may be better suited for another discussion) but that seems like a lot of work to map from an IdAS attribute to a local attribute.  What value is the XDI adding to the mapping process that js isn't? (I'm not questioning XDI frm a technical or usefulness standpoint, just trying to understand what it does and how it is adding to the process).

Marc