Re: [higgins-dev] CP Toolkit

On 3/12/07, Jim Sermersheim <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think we need a Context Provider Toolkit (I've already talked about this
in other message).  A good package name seems like
org.eclipse.higgins.idas.cp.toolkit or
org.eclipse.higgins.idas.cptoolkit

I agree whole heartedly

The former places it as a peer to other higgins CP's, but it looks a little
better.

Should it be part of the IdAS project, or standalone as its own project?  If
coupled with IdAS, it's easier in terms of delivery (one jar).  If it's a
separate project, then it potentially keeps deployment footprints smaller
when the deployed CP's don't use any code from the toolkit.  I suspect that
the toolkit will contain enough useful code, while not being very large that
keeping it part of the core IdAS might be a better option, but I welcome
other opinions and could go either way.

My 2 cents:

The toolkit should be separate from the IdAS, more like an SDK.  It
could include:
 a.  Documentation
 b.  samples
 c.  a certification suite.  something that someone can plug their CP
into without having to setup the entire higgins infrastructure (maybe
based on junit)

By separating out the toolkit theres an easy place for developers to
start.  As for multiple jars, an ant task can be used to assemble
everything for a release.

Also, making it more of an SDK with it's own documentation makes it
easier for people who are disconnected to work (can't access a wiki on
a plane or at a client site where you don't have access to the net).

I'd be happy to help out

Marc
Jim