RE: [higgins-dev] Agenda item for 11/16-17 F2F

At the risk of stating the obvious, these kinds of decisions/trade-offs are well-worn ground within the Eclipse community as a whole. Before the Higgins team goes too far in any one direction, I suggest that you seek guidance from your PMC (technology-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx) and from the legal staff at the Foundation (license@xxxxxxxxxxx).

From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Sermersheim
Sent: November 2, 2006 8:33 PM
To: 'Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions'
Subject: [higgins-dev] Agenda item for 11/16-17 F2F

Mary,

As a potential topic for the meeting, can I suggest "Redistribution of non-Eclipse libraries"?

There will be a growing number of Higgins components which have dependencies on non-Eclipse libraries.  For example, the STS depends on 8 other jar files, and the LDAP CP depends on up to a dozen.

An easy thing for us to do is simply document which jars are needed and tell the Higgins consumer to go find them all and put them it their classpath. That solution seems somewhat unreasonable when viewed from the perspective of the Higgins consumer.  Other solutions could include:
* JPackage
* Restricting Higgins components to only using jars that are available as Eclipse components (even with this solution, I don't think there's an Eclipse Package Manager, is there?)
* Provide an "installer" which fetches the jars from the Internet as each component is deployed (may be a nightmare in terms of broken links).
* Figure out how to deal with the licensing issues and just re-distribute the jars (yay!)

Estimated time: 30 to 60 min.

Jim

Back to the top