[higgins-dev] RE: A Higgins integration with cardspace

Jim, MikeM, Jim wrote:

>> It would be good to know: a) what of the above is already done or
>> being actively worked on,  b) who is able to and interested in
>> collaborating on any of the points above.
>
>On 'a', I am working on 2-9. Although I am weak in the area of
>IdAS/ContextProvider, and may go straight to LDAP as an intermediate step.

Rather than going straight to LDAP, consider using me or Tom as your IdAS slave -- we'll do whatever it takes to help you integrate with IdAS.  In fact, if you want to just point me at the STS code where the integration needs to happen, or where you would do your own "straight to LDAP" thing, I'm more than happy to provide code.

>As for as "b", I suspect this should be discussed with Tony N, Paul T, and
>Mary R.

Ok, Tony, Paul, Mary: Is there anything we need to do in order to collaborate on this other than what we're doing (communicating via email, phone, and irc)?  Are there resources that are available to be officially focused on any parts of this?

On “b”:

1) I’ve been following this thread with great interest. I’m 100% behind this effort and think it will do the Higgins and Bandit causes a lot of good.

2) Valery(Parity) and his team are working in parallel on relevant components (e.g. the I-Card Registry, etc). I’ve been encouraging them to try to engage with this thread where possible, and will continue to do so. The 6 hour time shift doesn’t help of course, but #higgins is a great resource.

3) As for my personal efforts to help, Jim’s email on Friday prompted me to flesh out a number of pages over the weekend on the wiki including:

a. http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/I-Card - a description of the I-Card concept

b. http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/I-Card_Interfaces - a refactoring of earlier work into one base interface (I-Card) and a set of optional, composable interfaces (including most importantly to this thread TokenIssuerCard and IdASCard)

c. http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/I-Card_Provider - WRT to this thread, see especially the section entitled “CardSpace-compatible I-Card Provider”. It implements three interfaces: I-Card, TokenIssuerCard and IdASCard. Among other things, the intent of the design is to show that a CardSpace-compatible I-Card holds BOTH (i) the metadata necessary to leverage the STS and (ii) the IdAS metadata necessary to retrieve the Digital Subject attribute/claims, etc. (As the wiki explains (and as this diagram now shows), attribute/claim mapping (sometimes a no-op) is technically the responsibility of an I-Card Provider, but in practice usually left to an IdAS Context. My thought was that we should get some experience with the simple design that a CardSpace compatible I-Card manages the STS and the IdAS relationships, and worry about adding specific “mapping Contexts” (or more generally chains of Context transformations) later.

4)I have not been specific (yet) about the gritty details of exactly how the I-Card Provider either (i) retrieves the DS attributes and “pushes” them to the STS, or (ii) pushes its IdAS metadata to the STS and leaves it to a Token Provider to “pull” the attributes from IdAS. We’ll figure out whichever seems more expedient and do that, no doubt.

5) Unfortunately, I spend too much of my time trying to evangelize Higgins and find financial resources to support it. This week is no exception and I’m out all week on the west coast ending up in Seattle on a panel with Kim. But I’ll try to help out where I can.

6) I’d suggest that this Thursday’s call should focus on “what can we all do to help this Dec 2 demo effort?”

Back to the top