Re: [gmt-dev] GMT Framework Proposal

Hi Ed,

Do you think that it is appropriate to label your document "GMT Framework
Proposal" without first talking to the GMT project leaders?

Here on the mailing list, just a few short comments from myself and Ghica:

Firstly, what is the purpose of the document? From your references to the
GMT software requirements specifications we presume that it is an attempt to
describe the design of the GMT platform. You've articulated some ideas for
the naming of models and transformations, but neither Ghica nor I can find
anything of substance related to our vision for GMT in this document.

Secondly you totally ignore the workflow component that you saw at OOPSLA,
which forms the backbone of the GMT platform. For GMT we are taking a
standards-based approach to workflow that is consistent with
http://www.wfmc.org.

You are taking the view that everything is a "transformation", including
workflow. That view is as helpful as taking the view that all programs
should be be written as Turing machines. Workflows can span space and time
in a team environment, and involve a number of manual steps. Nothing that's
anywhere close to an automated transformation executed by an MDA
transformation engine. Do you also see the development of transformations
(the definition of a mapping from PIM to PSM) as a "transformation"? Let's
not go there. I suggest we keep the mailing list free of noise.

Regards,
Jorn

Jorn Bettin
jorn.bettin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.softmetaware.com
Tel  +64 9 372 3073 | Mobile +64 27 448 3507 | Fax +64 9 372 3534