Re: [gmt-dev] Initial UMLX prototype

Hi,
I've added my thoughts below

Jeff
On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:23, Willink, Ed wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Apologies for any mis-understanding, but as far as I can see I did what
> was agreed. All the UMLX compiler and language stuff is under UMLX.
> Non-UMLX stuff is in re-usable directories. The sole exception is
> UmlxDecorator that sits more comfortably as an XmiEmitter sibling with
> GME-specific stuff.
>
> If you insist that every sub-project, put all its external support stuff
> under
> xyz we will end up with a zillion copies of libraries and tools.

Perhaps tools that are common should go into some "common" area/project. This
would be only if they are common to most sub-projects and not just common to
a single sub-project. Perhaps its even conceivable that some sub-projects
within GMT may depend on different versions of some tools (hopefully not), or
libraries specific to the sub-project (which implies a lib directory in the
sub-project). In large projects its not uncommon to have mini-projects that
have a similar structure to the overall project, which are built and pulled
together. This being possible perhaps if UMLX started as a sub-project then
tools/components that were required by other GMT projects could be "promoted"
to the higher level?

> For instance, should specialized Sun Java libraries be in sub-projects?

Ah no this would be silly wouldn't it? I assume that we would just list this
as a prerequisite that ppl should obtain (link provided), just as we would
list any other such requirements.

> NiceXSL is a preprocessor for XSLT. It is nothing to do with UMLX.

Again, perhaps we should list this as a prerequisite with a link to the
download location?

> XmiEmitter is an add-in for GME, it is nothing to do with UMLX.
>
> GME is a third party tool - nothing to do with UMLX.
People should download GME separately then.

> If you really want UmlxDecorator moved fine, but moving the rest is a
> nonsense.
>
> In general, moving anything within a Code Management System is very
> undesirable,
> so I'm very reluctant to move anything now.

Hence the idea to get agreement before checking anything when the components
are not yet agreed. I think I also provided a link to some project
guidelines, amongst them was information on how write access to CVS was
controlled this may also affect the structure, if you want to have controlled
access to specific areas within GMT. I assume that anyone of the core
contributors (if they all belong to the same group) can delete the stuff
(current structure) from the repository, so that you can check it back in.