[geomesa-users] new index -> new implementation for knn-query?

Hello,
at first I want to thank you all for the last explanations of my questions. The support is really fast and motivated :)
This leads me to the next question regarding the new index:
When geohashes were not used anymore, a new implemenation for the knn query should be necessary, because it uses a geohashspiral. In the attachment you find my understanding for the current execution of a knn query. First picture shows the geohashspiral and second picture shows the test whether all points found are really the closest ones. For this all skin-colored geohashes were processed, because they could contain some points that are closer to my origin. The small circle contains the result for k=10. I could imagine that these two pictures only show a simplified version of the algorithm, but it would be great if you confirm my understanding is correct. In my masterthesis a want to explain these method a bit more in detail. So when a new version comes up, how will this new implemenation look like? Maybe by starting with a small circle which is growing continously?

Thanks a lot,
Marcel Jacob.