Re: [geomesa-users] Syncing data between GeoMesa instances

Hi Jon,

This is an interesting question.  Generally, I think it should work.  The big gotcha would be handling any updates/deletes which are in progress.

To mitigate various issues, I'd suggest something like this...

1.  Allow writes / deletes to finish.
2.  Manually compact the GeoMesa Accumulo tables.
3.  (Optional) Call clonetable to create 'copies' of the existing tables.
4.  Sync over those tables to the new Accumulo instance.
** Note:  The root 'catalog' table contains metadata entries which tell GeoMesa which tables are used and for what purpose.  In the new system, you will want to use the existing table names.  If you must change, we'll need to walk through updating that metadata.  It wouldn't be hard, but there isn't an existing tool to help.

I'm suggesting the clonetable command so you can begin ingesting into the original GeoMesa instance if needed.  I believe that Accumulo does the obvious lazy-evaluation/clever thing with the clone tables to save space.  Your sync would then be using static rfiles.

I'd love to hear how this works out for you; feel free to let us know how it goes!  If this approach doesn't work easily, the GeoMesa export/ingest tools will serve as another slower method to try: http://www.geomesa.org/geomesa-tools-ingest-export/.

Thanks,

Jim