Re: [equinox-dev] Convergence between p2 and the OSGiresolver+repository

I will be interested to see if you can successfully map the OSGi uses concept into the SAT solver p2 uses.  I briefly looked at that a long time ago when we were refactoring the Equinox framework (Luna) and were replacing the old Equinox resolver.  It was far from obvious how you would achieve this.  At that time I opt'ed to collaborate with a common resolver in Felix for the Equinox framework.  But this is no magic implementation.  There are still cases where the OSGi resolver algorithm will blow up.  In Equinox we try to minimize that possibility by avoiding the resolution of all (10000) bundles at once.  But as Pascal states, this does leave out some possible valid solutions that you will then not discover while resolving.

If you do focus on how to map uses into the SAT solver in p2 I would be interested in collaborating to see if such a resolver would outperform the Felix resolver we use at runtime.  My hope at the time I was looking into this was to map an OSGi Resolver service on top of the SAT solver implementation.  But I cannot remember how the SAT solver is driven.  I suspect the split between the OSGI Resovler and the OSGi ResolveContext will not fit well into the SAT implementation model.

Tom

From:        Todor Boev <rinsvind@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:        11/17/2016 02:22 AM
Subject:        Re: [equinox-dev] Convergence between p2 and the OSGi        resolver+repository
Sent by:        equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

- Regarding batch resolution:
Ultimately I think the batch processing is about performance. At provisioning time where finding the best solution trumps speed the resolver can be executed against the entire set. But I have to try this. After than the equinox runtime should be able to re-create a correct (maybe not identical) resolution from the much smaller set of resources. I have tried the resolver against about 700 bundles and it did okay, but this is well short of 10,000. More research required....some day.

- Regarding the additional p2 concepts:
Can you point me to the documentation of how the resolution problem is converted to a SAT formula?

Best regards