Re: [equinox-dev] OBR

Great!   Never having looked at the OBR implementation I can't really say which is the best path.  I'm imagining that they have some code that reads repositories and some code that does resolution etc.  What you need is the repository reading/parsing code.  You would take that input information in and create a matching metadata repo and artifact repo object in p2.  These would be primed with InstallableUnits (IUs) and artifact descriptors (respectively).  From there on the OBR stuff would show up in p2 just like anything else and you can install etc using the p2 resolution strategies etc.

Simon is doing something similar to this right now for update sites.  He has a harder challenge because update sites don't have alot of metadata that is easily accessible.  OBR seems to have more metadata so should be easier to integrate.

I would recommend against trying to mix OBR's resolver and artifact fetching etc with that of p2.  Feels like there will be conflicts and strangeness that cannot easily be contained in the UI and the end result will confuse users.  Anyway, that is the path that I would go.

Perhaps the best place to start is by looking at the p2 SimpleMetadataRepository and SimpleArtifactRepository classes as well as the org.eclipse.equinox.p2.updatesite bundle.  These do not directly fit what you are doing but what you need is likely some combination of the two and something that can parse OBR repos.  Note also that OBR has repo federation that is currently not supported by p2 (though it seems like a good idea).  For now I would start simple and go for just one OBR repo at a time.  You can find the Europa OBR repo at
        download.eclipse.org/releases/europa/repository.zip

Does this make sense?

Jeff

Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>

01/11/2008 10:46 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] OBR

I agree with this and I'd be willing to actually write the OBR
repository adaptor for p2. Would you agree that the simplest way to do
that is probably to write it on top of the OBR API's and the Felix
bundle repository implementation?

- thomas