Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] Shared install

When I was describing this scenario, I was really much influenced by what
has been supported by eclipse in the past and what is typically needed for
linux users.
In these cases, the "shared install" represents the application users run.
The things that makes eclipse different from most of the other
applications, is that its ability to have users add things which is the
cause of all these discussions.
Therefore in these cases, the "common/shared" bundles.txt is represents a
runnable system.

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |08/21/2007 10:22 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] Shared install                                                                                                           |

Assuming the shared bundles.txt represents a minimal set of bundles to
provision then it could work. The problem is if the requirements for the
rest of bundles will not reconcile to the new core. This should be an
easily resolvable problem. Maybe if the only requirement is the import and
export of services and not the usual version matching. Thinking of it this
way should mean we can always replace it using brute-force if need be.
Actually this is the easiest way to get it up, just unzip the core
including its bundles.txt. Or we can totally replace it in this same way if
needed.

(Embedded image moved to file: pic05040.gif)Inactive hide details for
Pascal Rapicault <Pascal_Rapicault@xxxxxxxxxx>Pascal Rapicault
<Pascal_Rapicault@xxxxxxxxxx>

                         Pascal
                         Rapicault
                         <Pascal_Rapicau
                         lt@xxxxxxxxxx>  (Embedded image moved to file:
                         Sent by:        pic26929.gif)
                         equinox-dev-bou                                To
                         nces@xxxxxxxxxx             (Embedded image moved
                         g                           to file:
                                                     pic28292.gif)
                                                     Equinox development
                         08/21/2007                  mailing list
                         08:22 AM                    <equinox-dev@eclipse.
                                                     org>
                                         (Embedded image moved to file:
            Please respond to            pic21628.gif)
    Equinox development mailing list                                    cc
        <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                    (Embedded image moved
                                                     to file:
                                                     pic00375.gif)
                                         (Embedded image moved to file:
                                         pic01809.gif)
                                                                   Subject
                                                     (Embedded image moved
                                                     to file:
                                                     pic26261.gif)
                                                     [equinox-dev] [prov]
                                                     Shared install

                                         (Embedded image moved to file:
                                         pic03802.gif)
                                                (Embedded image moved to
                                                file: pic31223.gif)

Tim, Andrew,

For records, could you guys write a short wiki describing the various
approaches we talked about to implement shared installs? In a few months
this will help us remember why/or not we've done what we've done :-)

Also , following the call, Simon and I had further discussions and believe
a good approach would be:
- simple configurator reads the user bundles.txt
- simple configurator reads the shared bundles txt
- if the shared bundles.txt has changed, only run with its content (ignore
bundles from the user), since it should be a consistent whole (composed of
the agent / reconciler)
- then run the reconciler on the running profile (we may need another
operation on the director or something like that). Note here I'm not saying
when it is actually run and this should just be configurable.

Something like that offers the advantage that
- we don't need to have another configurator as we had touched on
previously
- we should always be able to start something
- gives flexibility as to when the reconciliation should be done

HTH,

PaScaL