Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] Shared install filesystem layout

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 12:28 -0400, Jeff McAffer wrote:

> Andrew Overholtwrote on 08/10/2007 11:41:30 AM:
> > /usr/bin/eclipse - actual launcher binary (preferably not a
> wrapper)
> - where would eclipse.ini go?  next to the launcher or somewhere
> else?

Right now we keep it in /usr/share/eclipse but I'm
thinking /etc/eclipse.

> - is there any 32/64 bit system issue here?

For the binaries?  No.  [Sort of unrelated information:  It's debatably
silly, but only one wordsize binary "wins".  So if you have a package
that contains both libraries and a binary (this is generally rare, but
libgcj is an example as it contains both /usr/bin/gij (the interpreter)
and the actual class library bits), the libraries for both arches would
be installed but only one /usr/bin/<thing> would remain.  On x86_64,
64-bit binaries win, on ppc64 I believe it's the opposite ... or maybe
not but it should be.]

> > /usr/share/eclipse/plugins - platform-independent plugins
> > /usr/share/eclipse - rest of platform-independent stuff
> - can you give an example of this?

$ ls /usr/share/eclipse
about.html  buildscripts  eclipse.ini  epl-v10.html  features  links
notice.html  plugins  readme  startup.jar

> > /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins - platform-dependent plugins (fragments)
> - more of an FHS question but why is "lib" platform dependent and
> "share" not?  Seems strange.

I'm no FHS guru but lib was designed for .sos which are
arch/endian-specific.  There's also the potential that /usr/share can be
mounted from another box and /usr/lib be just for that
arch/machine.  /usr/share also contains things like docs and examples
but no binaries (IIRC).

> - in any event, in the new provisioning world, perhaps there can be
> separate artifact repos for each platform.

Or even a shared one for the common stuff and platform-specific ones?

> - BTW, does "platform" include window system?

I don't know what you mean by "platform" here.

> > /usr/lib64/eclipse/plugins - platform-dependent plugins for bi-arch
> >                              systems (ex. if both x86 and x86_64
> version
> >               of Eclipse are installed on the same x86_64
> >               system)
> > /etc/eclipse - machine-specific (system-wide) Eclipse configuration
> information
> - can you give an example of this?

We don't put anything in /etc/eclipse right now but I'm thinking
eclipse.ini.  Maybe even some other stuff from the current configuration
directory.

> - how do you generally handle versions?  for example, it is imaginable
> that people need Eclipse 3.3 and 3.4 installed.  They both have
> eclipse.exe, eclipse.ini, ...  Are they packaged with unique names?

Well, in Fedora it's easy because we only ship one version :)  But I
imagine you'd solve this with a prefix or something:
ex. /usr/lib/eclipse34 or even (but please no) /opt/eclipse34.

Andrew

Back to the top