RE: [equinox-dev] Standard practice for deploying in daemon mode?

I got busy and was no longer tracking this list for several weeks... so
hopefully my picking up this thread again is still relevant.

Essentially, running in daemon mode seems to be very OS specific. I am using
Linux, and my favourite tool that I've found so far is daemontools
(http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html). It's simple, light weight, robust, and
effective, IMO.

In any case, regardless of the tool and/or command being used, it seems
clear to me that a few things must be handled differently:

 - stdin, stderr
 - GUI, TUI

If anything is output to stdin and/or stderr, and these are captured by a
log file, then due to the potentially huge amount of text, it is important
to ensure rotational logging.

I haven't done this in a while, but back in the day I was using Oscar like
this. I found that it was necessary to disable the TUI, as it would
constantly output loads of junk (just a cursor being output constantly)
rendering the logs totally useless. So, it would appear that the startup
provisioning needs to take into account whether the container is in
"application" mode or "daemon" mode.

I will investigate this further sometime soon and post a bug report as you
suggested.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

Cheers,
David