Re: [epp-dev] Can we drop 32bit EPP Packages?

Another thing to keep in mind is that it’s not uncommon, especially on Windows, for a 64-bit OS install to have a 32-bit public JRE. That’s because until recently, most browsers supported Java integration and the vast majority of browser installs are still 32-bit. Any user that encountered Java content on the Web and followed prompts to install Java would have ended up with a 32-bit public JRE.

I suspect that number of users actually running 32-bit OS to be relatively small in comparison to those that just happen to have 32-bit public JRE and little patience for fiddling with Eclipse startup issues.

If the launcher was able to detect JRE incompatibility and help user to download/use a compatible JRE, this would be less of an issue. I believe this is a FEEP line item already.

An even better solution is to deal with the issue of JVM selection/install before the user is asked to select whether they want 32-bit or 64-bit Eclipse. A network installer could do this. Unfortunately, since Oomph is itself an RCP app the user has to make 32/64 choice before downloading the installer and deal with the same startup issues if they make they wrong selection.

The Eclipse network installer that we have developed at Oracle for installing Eclipse with Oracle Tools (OEPE) takes a different approach. It’s a 200KB Swing app that’s started through Java web start. It’s compatible with Java 6, so if user has a public JRE install, it’s very likely that the installer will start without any issues. Once started, one of the install steps is JRE selection, where the selected JRE is verified for the required version (currently Java 8 for Oracle Tools) and 32/64 bit detection. If we detect that OS is 64-bit, but the selected JRE is 32-bit, we warn the user that they will be able to access more of their available memory if they select a 64-bit JRE. Then, based on user’s 32/64-bit JRE choice, we install the appropriate version of Eclipse that’s wired to the selected JRE in eclipse.ini file.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/eclipse/downloads/index.html

Thanks,

- Konstantin