  From: "Chris Armstrong" [chris.armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: 04/05/2006 18:42
  To: <shopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; 'Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List'" <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Mark Dickson
  Cc: <peter.eeles@xxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: RE: [epf-dev] Architectural mechanisms - a bit confusing as itstands ?

Sorry for jumping into this late (I was on vacation last week), but my two bits...

- I have traditionally used the term "architectural mechanism" and the three levels of abstraction (analysis, design, implementation) and it's worked pretty well. However, while at the end of the explanation, people seem to get the idea pretty well, they really had no idea at the beginning what I was trying to get to (just by the name). More recently I've been using the term "architectural service" instead.

- Here's my definition of "architectural service": "A capability provided by the architecture to enable applications to function within a technology platform." Another way to put it, "things the architecture does, that all by themselves aren't useful, but without them the application couldn't function".

- The definition of analysis mechanism in OpenUP is really a definition of a pattern (a la Alexander), which is odd as it says it "an analysis mechanism is a pattern that constitutes a common solution to a common problem" which really means "an analysis mechanism is a pattern that is a pattern..."

- I have found using a three- or four-level state model useful for work products that are incrementally refined. For example:
  - Identified: architectural services identified by name -- this would be similar to the notion of "analysis mechanism"
  - Described: architectural services mapped to analysis classes with qualitative and quantitative attributes
  - Outlined: approach to implementing architectural services described -- this would be similar to the notion of "design mechansim"
  - Detailed: architectural services implemented in context of the technical platform -- this would be similar to the notion of "implementation mechanism"