[epf-dev] Vancouver F2F Accomodation Details:

Hello Everyone:

Here is the status of the Vancouver F2F May 15th to 17th at UBC:

We have great facilities for our meeting but UBC will not be hosting meals. We can arrange for catering if this is desired and of course there are many places to eat at UBC including Starbucks!

So far I have only received attendance confirmation from the following people:

1)       Bryon Lyons (1 person)

2)       Chris Armstrong (1 person)

3)       Chris Sibald (1 – 2 people)

4)       Jim Ruehlin (1 person)

I assume more of you are planning to attend…so here is the deal. IBM uses the following hotel chains in general:

  • Accor (Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure)
  • Carlson Corp (Radisson, Country Inn and Suites)
  • Hilton (Hilton Hotels, Homewood Suites, Doubletree, Hampton Inn, Conrad International, Embassy Suites)
  • Intercontinental Hotel Group (Holiday Inn & Express, Crowne Plaza, Staybridge Suites, Intercontinental & Candlewood Suites)
  • Wyndham (Wyndham, Summerfield Suites)

I am strongly recommending we all stay downtown. Of the above, only Crowne Plaza and the Holiday Inn operate hotels in downtown Vancouver.  My preference is that we all stay downtown because

1)       if you’re coming to Vancouver that is where all the good sights, resturants, bars, and generally fun things to do are.

2)       Everything is within walking distance

3)       Access to UBC is easy (20 minute scenic drive)

4)       Also I admit it, I live downtown and I’m a lazy SOB who doesn’t want to have to drive out to anywhere to join you in the evenings.

The two IBM approved hotels from the above list in downtown Vancouver are:

The Holiday Inn

2. VANCOUVER-DWTN-TOWER & SUITES
1110 HOWE ST @ HELMCKEN
VANCOUVER, BC V6Z1R2
CANADA

The Crowne Plaza

. VANCOUVER-HOTEL GEORGIA
801 WEST GEORGIA ST
VANCOUVER, BC V6C 1P7
CANADA

I live within walking distance of both of these hotels, although the Holiday Inn is a bit closer. I checked with Holiday Inn, they have approximately 10 rooms available. The Hotel Georgia is across the street from IBM’s downtown office and has a great coffee shop that serves the best Croissants in the city.

There are a number of really nice boutique and independent hotels downtown including the Meridian Suites next door to where I live. For those of you who are not encumbered by IBM travel policy, these are well priced really nice places to stay. For example the Meridian is 1 block from the beach (my building is on the beach J )

For those of you in Hilton Honours, sorry Hilton is only now looking for a property in Vancouver. Those of you who prefer Starwood there is the Westin Bayshore and the Sheraton Wall Center. I recommend the Wall Center because it is closer to the Holiday Inn Downtown Tower and Suites.

Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre Hotel
1088 Burrard Street Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 2R9 Canada
Phone (604) 331-1000 Fax (604) 893-7200
reservations@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Westin is pretty nice being on Coal Harbour right at the entrance to Vancouver’s famous Stanley Park. The only issue it’s a bit further away (about a 30 minute walk versus 10 to 15).

1601 Bayshore Drive Vancouver B.C. Canada V6G 2V4

For those of you who prefer the Marriot, they operate the Pinnacle

Address

1128 W. Hastings St

Location

In the West End

Transportation

SkyTrain to Burrard Station

Phone

800/268-1133, 604/684-1128

Fax

604/298-112

Web site

www.vancouvermarriottpinnacle.com

The big operators in Vancouver include Fairmont (Hotel Vancouver and the Waterfront), Hyatt, Four Seasons and Pan Pacific. Just one thing, those of you from IBM may want to check that approve list for Canada because the Hotel Vancouver, the Hyatt, and Four Seasons are all within one block of IBM’s downtown office.

So what I need to know is:

1)       How many of you are coming so I can arrange our facilities at UBC.

2)       How many of you need me to book a room for you…If need be I can book a block of rooms at one of the boutique hotels for those of you work for companies that do not have hard core travel policies. I assume the rest of you (e.g. IBM) have a central reservation system that you use. If you want me to book a room for you, please let me know by Wednesday April 26th.

Just a word of caution. May is the beginning of the tourist season in Vancouver, and hotel space will start getting tight, so if you could let me know soon I would appreciate it.

Best regards,

Steve

Back to the top