Re: [modeling-pmc] Re: [emft-dev] Proposal for Texo Component

Hi Martin,

There is a strong tie between the proposed Texo project and EMF/ EMFT, Texo will be based on ecore-models and at runtime Texo will allow access to EMF-models (from the generated code). I understand what you are saying regarding domain-specific-applications. However because Texo has a strong EMF relation, EMFT seems a good place to start. Depending on the success and if there are other more logical main projects then it can make sense to move there ofcourse.

Yes, it sounds reasonable to wait for more similar projects to come before creating such a project.

regards,
Sven

gr. Martin

Sven Efftinge wrote:
Hi all,

this sounds very cool. We all know that there are many general frameworks (web, RCP, SOA, etc,) out there which would profit from generators. Some of them (Ruby on Rails, Grails, SEAM just to name a few) already use code generation a lot. Unfortunately they use wizard-style passive code generation, where you generate once and further change the generated code manually. So most of the time generators are just used to get users up and running as fast as possible. Also they come up with concise languages to descibe domain models (internal DSLs). Those languages are not statically typed, have to fit into the host's syntax and have no tool support at all (EMP can do better). IMHO there should be some more projects like Texo, which show how EMP can be used.

As EMFT is for EMF technology I find that those projects don't fit well there. We should create a new Project for such domain-specific applications of EMP.
What do you think?

atb,
Sven

btw: +1