Re: [emf-dev] ESetting/EOperation Delegate

Achim,

Comments below.

Achim Demelt wrote:
Hi,

With Galileo out of the door I thought now would be a good time to tackle some new challenges. Well, not so new, actually... It's about bugs https://bugs.eclipse.org/216701 and https://bugs.eclipse.org/255469
to dynamically specify the behavior of derived features and EOperations.
Those are good ones. :-)
Based on the patch from https://bugs.eclipse.org/255469 --- which happens to contain the changes for 216701, too --- we have implemented a proof-of-concept that lets us specify derived properties, operations, and validation rules with Xtend.
Cool.
From a user's perspective, this is pretty cool: The ecore file merely defines the static structure of the model without any annotations. You specify the behavior in separate *.ext files, thus making use of Xtend's excellent editor with content assist and syntax validation.
It would be even more cool if there was an Xtext editor for Emfatic with embedded grammars for the behavioral extensions...
We then register a special EPackage.Descriptor in the Registry that instruments the meta-data and attaches the appropriate EAnnotations to make use of the SettingDelegates and CallDelegates.
Cool, though I guess this doesn't work for generated models then, which would also be cool to support.
I'd like to contribute this code to Xtend, but before I can do this, we'd have to complete the work on bugs 216701 and 255469. I'd be willing to help out with these issues. But I don't really know what _exactly_ needs to be done to make the patches ready for prime-time.
Good point. I've not looked closely at it for a while and it's clearly time to start making plans for the next release.
Ed, can you write something like a TODO list?
Sounds like work. :-P
I can spare some time over next couple of weeks to work on this.
I'll try to find some time over the next week to look closely at the patches again and figure out what are all the todos. I'll put comments in the bugzillas.
Cheers,
 Achim