Re: [egit-dev] Mylyn removal from the Eclipse simultaneous release

On 31.03.22 13:05 , Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
+1 if this helps reducing maintenance efforts.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, http://guw.io/ <http://guw.io/>

On Mar 30, 2022, at 15:02, Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Mylyn has been inactive since quite a while and today the simultaneous release started removal of Mylyn by disabling Mylyn features and all features depending on it in the simrel build [1].

This means we should consider removing the EGit code depending on Mylyn.
Any thoughts on this ?

[1] https://git.eclipse.org/r/c/simrel/org.eclipse.simrel.build/+/189614 <https://git.eclipse.org/r/c/simrel/org.eclipse.simrel.build/+/189614>

-Matthias

Well, immediately this _creates_ maintenance effort. Perhaps unavoidable in this case :-(

We should definitely move the CommitHyperlinkDetector out of org.eclipse.egit.mylyn.ui; it doesn't depend on Mylyn.

Other than that I think just removing org.eclipse.egit.mylyn.feature.group and egit-github from egit.aggrcon might be sufficient?

I'm not opposed to removing the bundles completely, though.

Do we need something (p2.inf?) to ensure updates work seamlessly for users who have the EGit Mylyn feature installed currently?

For egit-github, removal of Mylyn means that everything disappears
except the basic REST API library. Which at that point should perhaps be migrated into the egit main repository, and the egit-github repo be archived?

(Note, though, that the REST API library org.eclipse.egit.github.core still is built with BREE Java 8. This is to keep Android compatibility. The library does not depend on EGit or JGit.)

If we do archive the egit-github repo (and move the REST API library to the egit repo), we'll also have to update our Jenkins builds slightly to no longer trigger the egit-github build.

Cheers,

  Thomas

Back to the top