Re: [egit-dev] 5.7 in a product build that is based on eclipse 4.14 (2019.12)

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 15:13, Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 2:10 PM Johan Compagner <jcompagner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

just want to let you know about a very weird behavior that we had when creating our product.
until now i always just used:  http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates

to build our product, so egit auto upgraded, that worked fine for quite some time

But suddenly when i think we got 5.7 pushed our product didn't really start normally anymore

Not sure what it is but when i click on our exe file, it takes about 2 minutes (cpu usage is very high) before the choose workspace dialog pops up. If i look at it what it really does it is osgi/felix container threads doing stuff (over 6 or so threads)

the change is (besides of course egit/jgit updates) that i suddenly have a few plugins that are suddenly duplicate:

I guess our product builds on features that uses code 1.10 and that older http stuff and now egit/jgit uses newer version of that..

There are also other changes so its a bit tricky to understand why eclipse launcher is suddenly so busy with..

duplicate http_commons.codec.jpg

The EGit 5.7.0.202003110725-r p2 repository contains the versions of the dependencies needed at runtime given in

EGit comes with the versions given in this target platform definition but should also work with different versions of dependencies,
as long as those versions are compatible and within the version range given in the respective JGit/EGit bundle's manifest.
E.g.

I guess you probably need to pin the exact version of all dependencies your product assembles when building your product.

that is what we do in our feature.. we fix it

Problem is in Eclipse and all the features that all the features do this. So you kind of depend on the eclipse features we also build on..

But as i said i don't know what happens here exactly
But if i build our product with egt 5.7 then i got those duplicates (and some other changes i think)
i get those duplicates because of other features (eclipse 4.14) that wants to have those explicitly
So even if our feature targets the same http and codec version that egit now brings i still have duplicates (coming from other dependencies)
But also then our product doesn't really start correctly (it does start but it takes 2 minutes of high cpu usage)

image.png

here you see a run of 30 seconds of crunch  time..
That takes 2 minutes at least..
all those "Equinox resolver thread - Equinox Container: 0c1906c2-b81e-42bd-b1ee-e28b0bc7de08 Group: 'main' Native ID: 9296"

are pretty much doing the same thing then..

Back to the top