Re: [egit-dev] Internal API's or not

Hi Robin

On 04/03/2013 09:52 PM, Robin Rosenberg wrote:
My claim is that the classes inside EGIt, with very few exceptions are for internal use
only, but then I really don't know how tied up we by users today. Can we ban callers
outside the EGit realm to some extent?

See https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/11328/

not sure why a 3rd party plugin would not want to call the EGit operations ex. PushOperation, CommitOperation, CloneOperation etc.

We at JBoss Tools use those in the OpenShift tools. We have a wizard that would create a runtime on the cloud and clone it's repo to the local machine. We expose the destination folder in the wizard but dont display the EGit cloning wizard. The single setting we expose is fully sufficient. Pretty much the same is valid for our WTP server adapter that publishes changes in the local clone to the cloud runtime. It's using the EGit PushOperations behind the scenes. There's no need for us to show the EGit cloning wizard since all settings are already given by the existing setup. To be honest, we would get into heavy troubles if you would hide those from us.

-- robin