Re: [egit-dev] checking 1.0.0.201106011211-rc3

On 4 Jun 2011, at 23:49, Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The checkboxes were replaced by toggle buttons which isn't really hiding them
> but leaving some more space for the commit message and the file list.

Yeah, that's the awful UI I was talking about. Everyone knows what a checkbox means on platforms and can read the explanatory text to learn how to use the UI. No one knows what a small icon is for, and so won't be able to learn how to use it unless they already know. Which is a checkbox and which is an action? A UI is supposed to be intuitive.

Frankly the UI for EGit's commits sucks in the name of "needing more space for the commit message". I mean really? Scrolling is a technique when these things overflow - what you've saved is maybe one or two lines and made it significantly worse for the new user, not to mention breaking style guidelines and consistency with every other version control commit dialog.

No doubt it's too late to do anything about it now; maybe it wasn't when I raised the bug about it earlier on. But I will say it on record that my belief is that this was a badly executed change (from a UX perspective) with minimal benefit (optimising for a specific case when there is between old-new lines of text shown).

Alex

Back to the top