Re: [egit-dev] Against what version we should compare locally changed file?

On 12/01/2010 04:45 AM, Mark Farnsworth wrote:
> So it would seem reasonable that EGIT default should compare to index
> and provide an option to compare to a history if that is what someone
> wants to do.

Good argumentation Mark, now I'm convinced that in this case we should
name it as a "staged version" ... or maybe rather "index version",
because this particular file wasn't staged before.

On 12/01/2010 08:23 AM, Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
> Dariusz, in what context are you working?
>
> There are several options in the "Compare With" context menu which
> leaves users a choice. For the "really green ones" a "Compare With ->
> Branch/tag..." might be useful in order to compare against a remote
> branch. But I'm not sure that you are talking about those compare
> operations...

I'm thinking about situation when user launch synchronization from
"Team -> Synchronize..." and in synchronization-dialog selects
"include local uncommitted changes in comparison". Then (if he have
any local changes) he would see "<working tree>" node and
"<staged changes>" node (if he add something to index).

Now the question was how should be described right hand side editor
in compare view when user would like to compare locally changed file
with his version in repository. Should be named "staged version" or
"<last commit author> <last commit sha-1>"?

--
Best regards

GSM: +48 695 192 160
Blog: http://luksza.org