Re: [egit-dev] Sharing new project in outside repository

Ah, I see. So if a user wants something like that, that would also include a move of the project to some other location. Now it is the question if that is egits job or if the user is responsible for doing that. I think maybe the latter is best for now.

It would be nice if this was communicated somehow in the dialog ("You should create your projects downstream from the repository you want to use")

Thanks for your answer Christian.

Regards,

Wim

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Christian Halstrick <christian.halstrick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

> The use case seems plausible to me, don't you think?

It's plausible that you want that but it would require that you really
move the project sources to a new location. If you have a git
repository in /somePath/x/y/.git then all the sources which are
controlled by that repo are by default underneath at /somePath/x/y.
With git you cannot add files which are somewhere on your filesystem
to the repo. In the usecase you describe where the repo is on a
network share but your projects should be on a local filesystem I
would first clone the repo from the networkshare to your desired
location (leaving you with two repo's, one on the share the other
locally). Then I would work only on the local git repo. In the end you
may want to push back the changes you have done in the local repo to
the repo on the network share.

Ciao
 Chris

Back to the top