Re: [egit-dev] Manifest Source References

They are implemented by the IFetchFactory, so would be good to put something there.

We managed to get the form to be

Sent from my (new) iPhone

On 16 May 2010, at 09:47, Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
In 3.6M7, PDE introduced a new feature called source references [1]. PDE build generates those using an IFetchFactory which is supposedly implemented by the repository provider. At present, I think only CVS has this. It ties in with the PDE map files and can be used by the eclipse.fetch ant-task and is now also extended to provide the source reference.

In Buckminster, we do a similar thing, but when generating the source reference, we deduct the actual location using the RepositoryProvider for the plug-in that is built.

It all makes sense when using a centralized repository approach such as CVS, SVN, or p4. With Git however, it gets slighlty more complicated so I though I'd ask your opinion. What reference should be generated and put in the manifest? A reference to your local git clone doesn't make much sense. Would it be useful to always try and deduct the remote repository (the default that's used when doing a push or pull) and use that? Have you been given this any thought?

How will egit pull the source for an individual project and put it in the workspace when confronted with a source reference?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDE/UI/SourceReferences