Re: [ee4j-pmc] License guidance for auto-generated files

Again, the following is possibly valid for Germany only: There is a tight relationship between license and copyright. You cannot license something that cannot be copyrighted. This might be different in other countries.

-Markus

From: ee4j-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ee4j-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wayne Beaton
Sent: Freitag, 14. Dezember 2018 19:31
To: EE4J PMC Discussions
Subject: Re: [ee4j-pmc] License guidance for auto-generated files

I'm Canadian.

The question asked about license not copyright.

If you need a more official call, send a note to license@xxxxxxxxxxx

Wayne

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 1:22 PM Markus KARG <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ivar,

most people from the US think they can export their legal system to Europe. This simply does not work, as US copyright laws and German copyright law is totally different (e. g. in Germany you cannot see or buy IP but you only can sell or buy licences to use IP). So as the EF really cares about IP, they should ask the EF Europe / EF Germany for their lawyer's opionions, instead of posting individual non-official opinions.

As I told you in JavaLand, in Germany rules are different than in the US. A copyright can only be granted to humans, and to do that, the human has to create a more or less exceptional work by his own hands / brains (in particular, things that the average engineer could invent could not be copyrighted). So whatevery a machine creates can definitively not be copyrighted! If a machine applies a copyright into a machine-generated work, this would be worthless (at best, it would be confusing; at worst, it could be interpreted as an attempt of fraud).

-Markus