Re: [eclipselink-users] re move() and a OneToMany mapping with CascadeType.PERSIST

Before you remove and object you must ensure that you remove all references
to it.  Otherwise you are corrupting your object model.  Normally you would
get a constraint error if you tried to delete something that had references,
but it depends on the constraint direction.

Before removing B you must remove it from A's collection of Bs (and all
other object that reference B).

The cascade persist in JPA is required by the JPA spec to re-persist removed
objects (odd but true).  But not removing the reference to your removed
object is wrong and will corrupt your object model irregardless of the JPA
issue, so you need to remove its references.

If you removed the cascade persist, the object would not get re-persisted
(but you object would still be corrupt).

EclipseLink does provide some persistence unit properties that control this
behavior,
"eclipselink.persistence-context.persist-on-commit"="false" - will avoid the
auto persist on commit
"eclipselink.persistence-context.commit-without-persist-rules"="true" - may
resolve the issue

patric-7 wrote:

> Your proposed workaround leads to the expected behavior - the entries are
> now
> being removed.
>
> Should I open a bug report?
>
> Thank you and best regards,
> Patric
>
> Am 28.01.2011 19:02, schrieb Rohit Banga:
>> In case 1, can you try the following:
>>

>> // initially a.getBs() will be a set containing one value
>> em.remove(B);
>> a.setAttr(somevalue);
>> a.setBs(null);
>>
>> In this case I think B should be removed.
>> Can you please try this and post the behavior you observe?
>>
>> Member Technical Staff
>> Oracle India Private Limited
>> 91 80 41085685

-----