Re: [eclipselink-users] Order of operations in EclipseLink

Hi Tom,

I understand that any O/R mapper needs to track relationships/integrity of the entities that the
foreign key relations/constraints would not be broken or violated.

In my project we're only using disabled foreign key constraints in the oracle database to map the parent-child structure only but not to enforce the integrity. So when looking at my code snippet below EclipseLink could do all operations in the correct order without any problems.

Are there other arguments beside enabled foreign key constraints which would prevent the use of the real operation order?

Although the use of a flush() would help me out, it's a little bit more difficult than my code example below. Imagine that the first persist, the removal and the re-insertation are located in different code parts and some code outside their implementation control which parts are invoked. To be safe, we have to add a flush() after each part. This would cause a significantly performance degrade because flush() is costly operation, especially in my project (we're using client session customizers to intercept changeset calculations to track and archive all changes in some database tables).

Thank you and best regards,
Patric

Zitat von Tom Ware <tom.ware@xxxxxxxxxx>:

As mentioned in the article listed below. EclipseLink (and many other Object-Relational providers) orders the deletes last because it facilitates maintenance of referential integrity. An O-R tool must do more than just send SQL to a database. It has to maintain the identity and the integrity of the relationships among the objects it is managing. (e.g. Imagine you delete an object that is part of a relationship. EclipseLink must be able to update any foreign keys that form the relationship before doing the delete, or you will get exceptions related to Foreign Key constraints)

You can control when different parts of you transaction are executed using the em.flush() API.

If you need to get at the performDeletesFirst API, you can use org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.JpaHelper.getEntityManager(entityManager) and call getUnitOfWork() on the returned JpaEntityManager.

-Tom

Rohit Banga wrote:
 Hi Patric
See the following link
http://goo.gl/2oH4P <http://wiki.eclipse.org/Using_Advanced_Unit_of_Work_API_%28ELUG%29#How_to_Use_the_setShouldPerformDeletesFirst_Method_of_the_Unit_of_Work>

Michael
The above link shows how to configure it using UnitOfWork. Is there a way to do it using the EntityManager?

Thanks
Rohit