Re: [eclipselink-users] Cache Characteristics of @ReadOnly Entities?

Read-only objects are meant to only exist in the shared cache.  Using an
isolated or not shared cache with read-only would be unusual.  If you want
the object registered in the unit of work, then just don't mark it as
read-only.

To refresh a read-only object execute a query for it using the
"eclipselink.refresh"="true" query hint, or using the JPA 2.0 find() that
takes query hint properties with the refresh.

rscharer wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I've got a number of entities tagged as @ReadOnly, and I can't seem to
> control when they refresh their state from the database, either manually
> or through cache configuration.  My ideal would be one of these two
>
> 1) Configure the cache so the state of a @ReadOnly entity is preserved for
> the duration of a single UnitOfWork.
> 2) Be able to manually refresh the state of a @ReadOnly entity.
>
> I've tried various ways to accomplish #1 (Even setting CacheType to NONE
> as an experiment) and EclipseLink doesn't seem to care.  The documentation
> is sparse on the intersection of @Cache and @ReadOnly, though, so
> hopefully I'm just missing something.
>
> There isn't an obvious way to get at #2 either.  @ReadOnly entities are
> detached, so calling EntityManager.refresh() just causes an exception.
>
> Anybody have any advice for me?
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

-----