Re: AW: AW: [eclipselink-dev] Test EntityManagerJUnitTestSuite.testSetRollbackOnly on NetWeaver: Problem with JTA/non-JTA data sources

Hi Adrian,

Goerler, Adrian wrote:
Hi Tom,

- we need to check isOneServer before running the assert

I am actually, not sure I am understanding. Are you suggesting we should skip the assert on #990 in case we are on server?

After looking further at this issue, I think we probably need to change the assert to somehow determine if the transaction is in rollback-only mode in another way. I think the following would allow the test to pass, but ideally we would change the assertion in some other way.

if (!isOnServer){
String eName = (String)em.createQuery("SELECT e.firstName FROM Employee e where e.id = " + emp2.getId()).getSingleResult(); assertTrue("Failed to keep txn open for set RollbackOnly", eName.equals(newName));
}

I cannot think of a way to test the transaction's state that will work both in JTA and non-JTA. Can you?

- we should determine if the EE spec indicates what the expected behavior is here, so we know if this is just a test bug, or if it exposes an issue on NetWeaver.

Sabine observed that the flush (#980) is executed on a connection obtained from the JTA data source while the query (#989) is executed on a connection obtained from the non-JTA data source. It appears that once the persistence context is marked for rollback only, EclipseLink goes non-transactional. But the test asserts that EclipseLink hangs on the transactional data source (sees the change on the transactional data source). Could it be that EclipseLink switches to a non-transactional mode if the PC is marked for rollback?
If that's the case, I would like to question that this behavior is correct. (One could argue that it doesn't really matter which connection is used for reading as the tx will be rolled back eventually anyhow).

I am not sure the specification has any opinion about whether this behavior is correct, so I guess we have to figure out what we think is best.

To me, the transaction is in rollback-only mode and therefore it is probably not correct to try to get transactional data. Based on that assumption, I think the non-transactional read is probably as good a choice as we have available.

Admittedly, in an extended persistence context the behavior is inconsistent with that assumption (since the assert passes in extended persistence context) - we do a non-transactional read that gets a cache hit that returns uncommitted data.

The question I have is whether it is even reasonable for a user to to write a query in the rollback only state. Based on that, I think we should just fix the assertion to do a better check if we can figure one out.

-Tom

-Adrian

===

Adrian Görler