Re: [eclipselink-dev] Re: Code submission

Mike,

This process issue was corrected as a result of my email on Oct 30th  (http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipselink-dev/msg00240.html), and has since been officially changed in the recently created EPS process doc (http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/Process).  I think this was a simple misinterpretation of the rules.

I'd like to think that Wayne and I (the mentors) have helped out quite a bit over the last several months, but I will try to keep a closer eye on process related issues to make sure things don't get off track.

Neil

Mike Milinkovich wrote:

Doug,

Some additional background: contributions via mail lists, newsgroups, wiki and bugzilla are all covered under the Terms of Use (which is actually a little broader than the EPL, a subtle but important point). The reason why we ask that contributions come in via Bugzilla is that when you become a Bugzilla user, you register and agree to the Terms of Use. It’s just a little extra comfort for the legal types. Plus, as I mentioned before Bugzilla is where most of the interesting conversations happen J

To be honest, I’m not entirely sure that this is written in the IP Policy. I believe it is documented in the development process “How To’s”. But it is most certainly a best practice for tracking IP provenance, and the convention used throughout Eclipse.

I’ve asked this before: who are EPS’s mentors? A lot of these helpful hints should be provided by them. Even if our documentation was absolutely perfect --- and its not --- there is a lot to digest and we had hoped that the mentors would be a valuable resource for new projects starting up.