Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] [eclipse-pmc] [cross-project-issues-dev] m2e 1.18.0 and SimRel 2021-06

In my opinion there is a difference between updating to a major version of something and shipping a non-final alpha version of something.  We should not extrapolate this into a discussion about never updating to major versions of anything.

Tom

----- Original message -----
From: Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: "eclipse-pmc" <eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Eclipse Planning Council private list <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [eclipse-pmc] [eclipse.org-planning-council] [cross-project-issues-dev] m2e 1.18.0 and SimRel 2021-06
Date: Fri, Jun 4, 2021 9:02 AM

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 3:39 PM Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I disagree.  This caused issues for m2e, regardless of the fact that they should or should not have reacted to the change is besides the point.  I have to believe the chances of others being hit by the same issue outside of the release train is high.

That's a typical issue with usage of new major release. If you extrapolate this train of thoughts, then we should simply never ever move to new major version as it may contain breaking changes that may break clients who didn't handle semantic versioning of dependencies correctly.

I did not see exactly what m2e did to solve the problem.  Do they now have a hard requirement on slf4j 2.0 alpha?