Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Indigo Exception Request for RTP (technology.packaging.rtp)

In addition to the clarification below I want to add that

* eclipse.org/downloads is nothing that is 'owned' by EPP; it happens to be the place where the Eclipse Foundation decided to list some or all packages that are provided by EPP plus the Classic/SDK from the Eclipse Platform team. From my point of view it makes sense to list the additional RTP packages there, but this needs to be discussed first. Maybe this involves a change of the page layout, maybe not.

* Apart from the fact that I am a committer on the RTP project, there is no additional Simultaneous Release Train work that needs to be done by David or by myself. This was an important point in our internal RTP discussion. And we are talking about one or hopefully two RTP packages for Indigo, not a dozen new packages. Both, number of packages and the integration of metadata in the Release Train repository, may change in 2012 but not in the Indigo timeframe.

Thanks, Markus

On 1 March 2011 16:43, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:28 AM, John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm also confused about what this means. Will these packages be listed on
> http://eclipse.org/downloads/ along with all the other EPP packages? Does
> this create extra work for Markus and/or David, and if so are they ok with
> it. Can they run concurrently with the EPP packaging build, or do they need
> to happen before or after? Since package builds are the final step in the
> release train, they need to be responsive to last minute respins from
> upstream. Often Markus' quick turnaround on EPP builds has made the
> difference between shipping on time and being late, so I hope this new
> package build is equally "agile".
>
> I think the RTP packages are a great idea, I just want to make sure we
> understand the impact (if any) on our end-game schedule to make sure we keep
> shipping on time.

"the RT packages are completely independent from the EPP package. So,
this will not create extra work for Markus (btw: he's the mentor from
and a committer on RTP) or David. And yes, we also depend on "last
minute respins" and we will act the same way like the EPP project.
Regarding our experience in this area. Markus works in the same
company as I do. So, if there are any problems he can also help out.

Regarding the listing of the downloads: The packages are currently
listed on the RTP download page (http://eclipse.org/rtp/downloads). We
didn't discussed so far if we want to put them on the eclipse.org
download page. I think this will be the next step if we get the go to
participate in indigo."

Seems fair. I think the next discussion after approval should be
whether or not the downloads appear on eclipse.org/downloads (which I
think they should, just have to think of a way to present them in an
intelligent fashion).

On a side note, I think we should consider exceptions be raised as
bugs instead of emails. We can talk about this on Wednesday.

--
Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk
http://aniszczyk.org