From: eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:07 PM
To: eclipse.org-planning-council
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] A suggested topic for Planning Council Discussion

Doug, (and everyone)
I agree - if there are no people or people hours, there will be no code, no matter how much the Board wishes for it to happen. One could argue (I have argued) that the Board controls the people hours, so if they want to define a requirement, they should supply the resources, but somehow that logical situation doesn't always come true.

Do you really think it would poison the community if there were a two-level train? A "meet all the requirements" level (the gold medal) and a "simultaneously release" level (the silver medal)? Maybe if the packages and the main update site contained the gold seal projects, but that the silver projects were also (if there was time to review the IP) available at the same time?

- Bjorn

Doug Schaefer wrote:

As for requirements, other than holding up the IP process I’m not sure what stick the EMO has to enforce projects meet the requirements. If projects don’t have the resources or the mandate from the employers of the resources to do the work, it doesn’t happen. And if you kick projects off the train because of that, that could poison the community. The best stick still is influencing and that involves good communication channels open between the requirers and requirees, and, of course, a reasonable set of requirements.

--

[end of message]

Back to the top